Saturday, April 2, 2011

40 B4 40: Update

Right after the new year, I wrote my list of 40 Things I Want to Accomplish Before I Turn 40. Seeing as I will be turning 32 in two days, I thought maybe this would be a good time to update my progress.

3. Sell something on etsy.com - So, I've started making these capes. Originally I just made them for Thing 1 and Thing 2, but some friends saw pictures of them online and the requests started coming in. I've done preliminary research on starting a shop, and right now I'm at the stage of deciding what my shop name will be. Superman came up with "Mama Kay Designs," which I thought was really catchy, but apparently somebody else did too, because "Momma Kay" and "Mama Kay" were both already taken. Once I decide on the name, I will open my shop and start listing the capes and maybe add on t-shirt quilts in the future.

4. Present at a national conference - In January, I submitted a proposal to ACTFL and am waiting to hear whether or not it's been accepted. I should find out some time this month.

5. Have a job I love - I applied for two new jobs in the last month. One application resulted in an interview. It's been about 3 weeks since the interview, and I still haven't heard anything. However, I also haven't received my portfolio back yet, so I'm trying to stay positive that means I'm still in the running for the second round of interviews. Also, I've checked online, and the position has not been filled through HR yet. I'm also focusing on trying to appreciate the job I do have, which has made things better.

7. Jog a 5K - About two weeks ago, I started the Couch to 5K running program. I'm currently on my second week of the first week work out. My brother and I started at the same time, so we are encouraging one another and have picked out a 5K to jog together in September.

10. Achieve a normal weight BMI (18.5–24.9) - I rejoined Weight Watchers. I was pretty successful with it once back B.C., so I'm hoping the second time's the charm. So far, I've lost 18 pounds since January 3. It's coming off slowly, but slow and steady wins the race. Hey, I have until 40 after all!

12. Grow an herb garden - Last week I planted some cilantro, basil, and oregano. Growing it in the window until after the first frost, when I will transplant the seedlings to a porch container.

13. Grow a vegetable garden - Last week I planted some heirloom tomatoes, brussels sprouts, and rainbow peppers. Growing it in the window until after the first frost, when I will transplant the seedlings to the garden. I bought a soil test kit to test the garden plot in the meanwhile. And I've researched renting a mini-tiller for clearing out the plot once the ground softens.

26. Finish Thing1 & Thing2's scrapbooks - I finished Year 1! Year 2, 3, & 4 still to go.

27. Scrapbook my wedding - Started.

31. Learn to use my serger - Got it down, dusted it off, threaded the machine, and practiced on scrap pieces. I need to find a project to make with it next...

I think I've got a pretty good start going....

No comments:

Post a Comment