Sunday, September 24, 2017

Warriors Birthday Party

At last year's Harry Potter birthday party, one of the guests brought my boys a few books. One of these books was the first book in the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. When I talked with the mom about why she chose it, she said it was just "on the table next to the Harry Potter books." It was a pretty lucky pick though, because Thing 2 LOVES cats, and therefore became obsessed with this book series. Not typically much of a reader, he had the whole thing read in a weekend, and we were using his birthday Barnes and Noble gift cards to go buy the whole set!

Come October, Thing 2 decided he wanted to be a Warrior cat for Halloween. (He chose to create his own Warrior character named Snowstar.)

By the time their birthday rolled around in June, for the first year ever my twin boys wanted different party themes. Thing 2 really wanted a Warriors birthday party. But Thing 1 wasn't "really into" Warriors, and wanted a Splatoon birthday party instead. Knowing I was NOT going to host two separate parties, but not wanting to make one boy feel disappointed, I racked my brain for a fair solution. Another factor was that I knew Thing 1 really wanted a Nintendo Switch for his birthday (which is a very expensive present and much more than I'd spend on a present), but Thing 2 really didn't care about getting a new gaming system. So in the end, I helped them reach a compromise that they would ask for a Switch from their grandparents (which Thing 1 wanted) and have a Warriors themed party (which Thing 2 wanted), and all were happy. 

Invitations
Because Warriors is a book series, I created invitations that mimicked a book. I printed the following on a thick piece of card stock, then folded it in half.
Back page and Front cover
Inside book
As you can see from the title of the book, and the inside page, the set up for the party is that there is a new clan in the forest that is seeking cats. So the birthday party will be a try-out of sorts for the new cats to prove themselves worthy of joining the new clan: The Skyteam Clan.

Decorations and Snacks
As per usual, I planned a post-lunch party so that I don't have to do lots of food, just light snacks that fit within the Warriors theme.


On the menu was bird's nests (made from mini pretzel sticks and birthday cake flavored peeps), a fishing pond (made with blue jello and swedish fish), squirrel tales (string cheese wrapped in croissants), and bunny tales (powdered donut holes). 





2:00-2:30 – Become a Warrior Apprentice
In the weeks leading up to the party, I made 20-some mini-versions of the cat mask I made for Thing 2's Halloween costume. (I was sweeping fun fur out of my craft room for weeks after the party!) Upon arrival to the party, each guest chose a cat mask and a tail (I found these giant chenille stems in white, black, brown, and gray that were perfect for easy tails!) and then chose a unique apprentice name (usually based off of something about their looks or a characteristic of their personality).

Note: I have started allotting more time for the first activity at the party, to make sure the late comers aren't too behind the fun when they arrive.



2:30-3:15 – Going on Patrol
The main activity of the party was a scavenger hunt where the cats had to work together following clues to collect mini animal plushies (bunnies, mice, birds, etc.) that I had hidden around the neighborhood. Since not all of the kids were familiar with the Warriors series, I began with a simple powerpoint style movie giving the origins of the Warrior clan. Then I issued this instruction:

“I am Hazelstar, the Clan Leader for Skyteam clan. You loners have been paw-selected to join our clan because of your reputation in the forest. However, before you are officially accepted into the clan, you must prove yourself worthy of being a member of the Skyteam Clan. Our clan values intelligence, compassion, teamwork, and bravery. We are looking for warriors who can work together as a team to effectively patrol our territory, defending against threats, solving problems as they arise, bringing home fresh kills, and of course, taking care of one another.

If you pass this test, you will be initiated into our clan and promoted from apprentice to Warrior status.

Furthermore, I am getting old. My fur is turning gray. It is nearly time for me to join the Elders. During the patrol we will be looking for a new Clan Leader who will take my place as the one who rules the clan. We will also be looking for a Deputy who will organize patrols, keep the clan in order, and be prepared to take over for the Clan Leader when the time arises."

3:15-3:30 – Fresh Kill
After the scavenger hunt, the cats piled their found fresh kill (plushies) on the fresh kill altar (dining room table), then we sang Happy Birthday and cut the cake (a red velvet cake in the shape of a giant field mouse).


3:30-3:45 Warrior Ceremony
After cake, the cats all gathered in the backyard for the Warrior Ceremony. It was here where they chose their new Clan Leader and Deputy while paying respect to the elders of the Star Clan (euphemism for the cats that have died) who rewarded them with gifts (aka a pinata).
Thing 2 with the cat pinata


3:45-4:00 Offerings
Historically I haven't allotted time for opening presents at my boys' parties, but as the kids have gotten older, their friends like to see them opening the gifts they have brought. So, this party, I left the last 15 minutes for opening gifts.

Overall, the Warrior party turned out pretty great. All the kids had fun, I had fun organizing it, Thing 2 was very happy, and yes, Thing 1 got his Nintendo switch (thank you grandmas and grandpas!).

1 comment: