Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Big boy beds

Thing 1 and Thing 2 have big boy beds!

Superman and I were pricing out bunk beds for the boys (the kind that you can start out as two twins and bunk later when they turn 6) and were definitely feeling the pinch on our wallets.  One set of wooden bunk beds, two mattresses, four sets of sheets, two pillows, two comforters...it was adding up all too quickly.

And then something amazing happened.  My aunt sent me an email asking if I had a need for two twin beds (they are in the process of converting their guest room to a king bed).  So, for the price of gas to drive to and fro Indianapolis (about 60 miles), we got two complete twin beds, with frames.  Score!

A lot of people are surprised to know that we are keeping the boys in the same room, and ask when we plan to give them their own room.  I have a few thoughts on that:

1. I plan on keeping them in the same room for as long as possible.  Puberty maybe?  I don't know.  It'll really depends on when they start bugging us for their own room.  But for now, I love hearing them chatter in their beds at night before they fall asleep.  I am not anxious to break that up.

2. Since when do kids HAVE to have their own rooms?  I know I sound like a bit of a hypocrite, seeing that the first time I shared a room I was a senior in college (at the sorority house), but I just don't think that having your own room is an inalienable right of childhood.  Especially two young children of the same sex.

The one problem...how do I stop the boys from jumping back and forth between their two new beds?

No comments:

Post a Comment