Thursday, January 6, 2011

"How do you do it?"

"How do you do it?"

"Having twins must be hard!"

"Is it a lot harder than having one baby?"

"I don't think I could ever do that."

These are just a few variations of a common comment I get from friends and strangers about being a mom of twins.

Depending on the mood I'm in, my responses vary.

If I'm feeling chipper, I'll launch into my informative reply:

Actually, having twins is a lot easier than I though it'd be.  You just have to get them on a schedule.  My kids eat at the same time, sleep at the same time, and even seem to poop almost at the same time!  Honestly, I think it's easier than having two just a year or so apart.  At least my kids eat the same foods, wear the same size clothes and diapers, have the same nap schedules.  I can't imagine having to handle two young ones at different ages with wildly different needs!  Now that sounds hard!

If I'm feeling tired, I give my passive reply:

Yes, it is hard.  Sometimes I don't know how I do it.  (Then stick my nose in a book or change the subject.)

If I'm feeling frisky, I might give one of my smart ass replies:

"How do you do it?"  With a lot of help from cheap wine, ambien, and ear plugs.

"Having twins must be hard!"  Nah, two aren't so bad.  Now triplets, that was bad!  I finally just took their other brother back to the hospital for a refund.

"Is it a lot harder than having one baby?"  I don't know.  I've never had just one baby.

"I don't think I could ever do that." What would you have done?  Put one on the curb with a sign around its neck saying, "Free to a good home."

No comments:

Post a Comment